I am "selected for verification" - what does that mean?
Students who are selected for federal verification are sometimes concerned that they did something wrong. This is not true – verification is a routine process, and students are randomly selected by the U.S. Department of Education. In order to complete verification, you must submit additional documentation to Student Financial Services to confirm the information reported on your FAFSA.
Once Student Financial Services receives all documents, our office will review the data and compare it to the information on your FAFSA. If necessary, our office will make corrections and transmit them to the federal government. You will receive an email notification if the corrections impact your federal aid eligibility.
Student Financial Services cannot guarantee that your aid will disburse by the first day of fall courses if you do not submit all requested materials by August 1.
How to complete verification
Check your financial aid To Do List.
Once you have received notification that you are selected for verification, check your financial aid To Do List via SIS for any additional requirements. Document requirements are different for each student.
Sign and submit verification forms electronically.
Most verification forms are available to sign and submit electronically using DocuSign. Follow the instructions that appear when you click the links in your financial aid To Do List.
Submit any additional verification documents via SIS.
Other requirements, including tax forms and other IRS documentation, may be submitted using the secure upload tool in SIS. After logging in to SIS, hover over Financial Aid. Click “Online Forms,” and select “FA – Document Upload Form.”
Forms and resources
Documentation requirements are different for each student. Check your financial aid To Do List via SIS for your specific requirements. Commonly requested forms include:
- 2021-22 Household Verification Worksheet, Dependent Student
- 2021-22 Household Verification Worksheet, Independent Student
- 2021-22 Student and/or Spouse Tax Filer
- 2021-22 Parent Tax Filer
- 2021-22 Student and/or Spouse Non-Tax Filer
- 2021-22 Parent Non-Tax Filer
- 2021-22 Notarized Verification of Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
- 2020-22 In-Person Verification of Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
- 2022-23 Household Verification Worksheet, Independent Student
- 2022-23 Household Verification Worksheet, Dependent Student
- 2022-23 Parent Non-Tax Filer
- 2022-23 Student and/or Spouse Non-Tax Filer
- 2022-23 Parent Tax Filer
- 2022-23 Student and/or Spouse Tax Filer
- 2022-23 Notarized Verification of Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
- 2022-23 In-Person Verification of Identity and Statement of Educational Purpose
JHU offers access to an extensive financial wellness video library, which includes content focused on verification. Click below to learn more: