Federal Work Study

Federal Work Study (FWS), including Community Service and America Reads, is a federally funded program that provides subsidized part-time employment for students with financial need. The FWS amount in your aid package is the allotment of money that you may earn during the academic year. FWS awards are not credited to your bill. Students are paid semi-monthly for hours worked.

A wide variety of jobs are offered on and off campus and in community service settings. Students are free to choose their own jobs. Students work an average of 8 to 10 hours per week, though they may work up to 20 hours per week under the FWS/Community Service/America Reads (reading tutors) program. Earnings may be used to help cover expenses such as books, travel, and other personal expenses. FWS job listings are available through the Student Employment Services Office website. A Student Job Fair is held in early September.

Federal Work Study offers summer employment at off-campus placements for Community Service and America Reads positions. You do not need to be enrolled in courses during the summer to participate in the summer work-study program but you must be planning to re-enroll for the upcoming fall semester.

You may now access your Federal Work Study information online through SIS. Check your account to view your type of work study, amount of work study, eligible dates, remaining balance, and the downloadable PDF authorization form. You are responsible for providing the authorization form to your employer.

Students who are not eligible for FWS may qualify for the institutional equivalent – JHU Work Opportunity.

Federal Work Study Brochure
Federal Work Study Frequently Asked Questions
Federal Work Study Key Dates
Check out helpful tips!

Part-time employment

Students who are not eligible for work study in their financial aid package may still work part-time to help meet the annual cost of education. The Student Employment Services Office provides information on part-time opportunities, both on and off campus, and paid internships. They also maintain a website with a listing of employers who are willing to hire students who may not qualify for FWS or Community Service funding.

Hopkins offers temporary employment opportunities for all students. The Student Employment Services Office can answer questions and provide assistance. Call (410) 516-8421 or visit the Student Employment Services website.