Financial aid options

Although scholarship support is not currently available from JHU, qualified students may be eligible to receive Federal Direct Loans for a 12-month period. Many students entering the Post-Baccalaureate Program may apply for federal aid as independent students - no parental information required.

For independent students, the loan limits are up to $5,500 in a subsidized loan (depending on financial need) and $7,000 in an unsubsidized loan. Dependent students may borrow only the $5,500 loan which may be subsidized or unsubsidized depending on financial need, along with an additional $2,000 in unsubsidized loan. Supplemental borrowing options are also available to cover the total cost of attendance, which includes living expenses. Federal Direct Student Loans are available for this non-degree program because it is a preparatory program for entrance to medical school. However, federal regulations limit students in preparatory programs to one year of federal student aid. If your program should extend beyond one calendar year, you will need to consider alternative funding, such as private loans. Students in the post-baccalaureate program are not considered graduate students because the program is a non-degree, preparatory program. Therefore, students in this program are not eligible to apply for the Graduate PLUS federal loan program.

Student typing on laptop
Apply for aid

Determining your eligibility

Eligibility for Federal Direct Loans is determined by a formula using the data you submit on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).

The FAFSA will determine whether you may be considered an independent student for federal aid purposes. Students not meeting the criteria to be considered independent must report the income and assets of both the student and their parents on their FAFSA. We strongly recommend that all eligible students use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool within the FAFSA; this tool allows you to transfer your tax information directly from the IRS and ensures accuracy. If you are selected for federal verification, a copy of your IRS Tax Return Transcript may be required, along with any requested federal verification worksheets. If you submitted parental information on the FAFSA, we may also need a copy of your parents’ IRS Tax Return Transcript. After receipt of your complete application, you will be notified of your eligibility for Federal Direct Loans.

  1. Submit a FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) online at https://fafsa.ed.gov

    Our School Code is E00473. FAFSA data typically takes 3-5 business days to reach JHU.

  2. Refer to your JHU SIS account

    If you were selected for verification by the federal processor, refer to your JHU SIS account to review your financial aid To Do List for any additional documents that may be required.

  3. Complete loan requirements

    If you are applying for federal student aid for the first time at Johns Hopkins University, you will need to complete your Master Promissory Note (MPN) and Entrance Counseling (EC) at https://studentloans.gov. Remember to select Johns Hopkins University - ASEN or use school code E00473. We are unable to retrieve your MPN and EC if they are sent to another Hopkins division.

Cost and tuition

How much does the program cost?

Please Note:

Post Bac Pre Med students are charged a one-time $200 matriculation fee.

Average Federal Direct loan fees are added to the student budget when a student accepts a Federal Direct loan.

Student accounts

Paying your bill

The Student Accounts Office is responsible for student billing. All bills are mailed to the student’s permanent address in July for the fall semester and December for the spring semester. Payment is expected three weeks before the beginning of classes. If you begin courses in the summer, payment is due at registration. Funds from the Federal Direct Loan Program are credited directly to your student account 10 days prior to the start of classes (if you have returned all the required documents to the Office of Student Financial Services). Private loan funds are usually disbursed at the beginning of each term. You should notify the Financial Aid Office regarding the disbursement dates for your private loans.

Common questions